Friday, November 12, 2004

Friday Football Picks

Last week against the spread: 2-1
Pick of the week: 1-0
Last week straight up: 3-2

YTD against the spread: 12-3 (.800)
YTD Pick of the week: 4-1 (.800)
YTD straight up: 15-9 (.625)

I finished 2-1 against the spread for the third stright week. My only blemish was picking the Spartans against Ohio State. Their backup QB had started the season by losing a home game to Rutgers so I should have known better. But he played okay against Michigan. At least until losing a 17 point lead in the final 6 minutes.

So let's recap:

he lost at home to Rutgers. Ok.
blew 17 point lead to Michigan. Ok
put money on him against Ohio State. Huh?

Okay in retrospect it looks dumb. But like our President, I won't dwell on my past mistakes, I'll just move on to my next one.

Look for Wisconsin (-8) to blow the Spartans out this week. It will be a shame if an undefeated Wisconsin team doesn't make it to the national championship game. A USC/Wisconsin match up would be great. Unfortunately, if it happens, it won't be in the Rose Bowl.

Without a doubt, the Badgers are head and shoulders above the rest of the Big Ten and there is no way the Spartans can hang with them. This is my pick of the week.

One funny note, my wife saw the headline "Big Red Menace" in the Sunday Trib and thought they were insulting the Badgers (she's an alum). I had to let her know the headline was actually a compliment, although I do understand how someone who spent four years of her life in Madison may find the headline "Big Red Menace" threatening.

My only other pick is Northwestern (+13.5) over Michigan in Ann Arbor. I don't think the Wildcats will win but they should keep it close.

Straight up: Iowa over Minnesota, Purdue over OSU, Indiana over Penn St. I'm tempted to pick Indiana with the spread (they're 3 point home underdogs). But it's hard enough just picking them to win. I'm not ready to put money on 'em.