Thursday, January 25, 2007

Bubble Watch

I wanted this to look better but unfortunately Google spreadsheets don't quite work like I thought they would. Anyway, in the future I will include a chart of the teams that should be in but for tonight I will just list my bubble teams and how I would rank them right now. I know you can get this information in a lot of places but my main focus is to see where the Illini stack up.

At most, eight of the following bubble teams will be selected for the tournament. Of course there will be some conference tourney upsets that will push a team into the tournament that would not have been otherwise invited, thereby reducing the amount of at-large bids available. You can expect five or six teams of the teams listed below to get an at-large.
  1. Maryland - RPI 29
  2. Florida State - RPI 27
  3. Georgia Tech - RPI 35
  4. Michigan - RPI 36
  5. West Virginia - RPI 54
  6. Stanford - RPI 38
  7. Kansas St. - RPI 58
  8. Illinois - RPI 42
  9. Vanderbilt - RPI 55
  10. Bradley - RPI 34
  11. Georgia - RPI 41
  12. California - RPI 45
  13. Northern Iowa - RPI 47
  14. LSU - RPI 63
  15. Virginia - RPI 66
  16. Xavier - RPI 49
  17. Miss. St. - RPI 74
  18. New Mexico St. - RPI 82

Illinois and Bradley find themselves just outside the bubble, but they only need to pass up a handful of teams to play their way in.