Friday, March 30, 2007

Central Predictions

After giving this 30 seconds thought, and then spending 30 minutes building the tables, here are my predictions for the two Central divisions:

AL Central
TeamWL
DET9468
MIN8874
CHW8577
CLE8379
KC6894


I'm going with Detroit since they are the only AL Central team to improve themselves over the winter. Minnesota should threaten, but a lot of what they do depends on how long they wait to bring up Matt Garza and Scott Baker up from the minors and into the rotation. Of course, nothing would make me happier than watching Ortiz and Ponson make 30 starts this year, but I'm afraid that won't happen.

The 2006 Sox weren't good enough and nothing I've seen suggests this version is any better. Most likely they are worse.

You would think the Indians would be a great break-out candidate as their Pythagorean winning percentage last year suggests they ran into some bad luck in 2006. But with their weak bullpen, I can envision them blowing many late leads as they have done the past couple of seasons.

NL Central
TeamWL
CHC9072
STL8676
MIL8379
HOU7884
CIN7884
PIT7092


I don't think the Cubs built a great team, but they should have half of one as they figure to put a lot of runs on the board. That should be good enough in the lousy NL Central. And as the Cardinals proved last year, once you get into the playoffs anything can happen.

But something tells me I will be celebrating a hundred year anniversary drought next year.