Monday, September 29, 2003

AP Errors

There were two errors in the ESPN article (from the AP) I linked to below. First it states that the White Sox were heavy favorites to win the Central Division this year. I think I saw the Twins picked to win as much as I did the Sox.

The bigger error states that the Sox lost 10 of 15 after being swept by the Twins. Now first off, they only had 10 games after the sweep, of which they finished 6-4. If you include the sweep, they were 6-7 in their last 13. They had won the two precediing games, so in their last 15 they were 8-7. So I'm not sure what time frame they are using, but I can't come up with 5-10 anywhere.

Now these errors are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. But I often find similar ones when I read articles about subjects I am somewhat familiar with (baseball, bourbon and - well that's about it). It makes you wonder what they get wrong on the subjects for which you don't have good base of knowlkedge.

UPDATE: ESPN now is now stating that the Sox lost 10 out of their last 15 on ESPN News.