Friday, October 01, 2004

Friday Again?

Maybe I should call this ChiSox Weekly? Anyway, another rundown.

Cubs
What a difference a week makes. Last Friday I wrote how good the Cubs were looking. They have gone 2-5 since and now have only a small chance of tying for the wildcard and extending their season.

Boo-hoo, I'm all torn up. Good luck trying to trade Sammy (as ESPN radio is reporting). I don't think any team is going to take on that salary for a guy hitting .250 with less than 40 homers on the downside of his career.

Anyway, I hope my nephew's birthday party Sunday doesn't turn into a wake (would you believe I'm the only Sox fan in the family). Hopefully, all the giddiness will be out of my system by then and I can feign sympathy.

Sox
the Sox will in fact finish with at least a .500 record for the 5th year in a row. That's only impressive when you consider the fact that this is the first time the Cubs have had back to back winning seasons in my 30 years on this Earth.

Bears
The Bears were able to move the ball last week against the Vikings but weren't able to score TD's in the red zone. That, and the fact that the officials had some real BS calls and non-calls, prevented the Bears from pulling off the upset.

It wasn't a bad effort at all considering the Bears were without Urlacher, Brown, Tillman, Azumah, Gray and Boone on defense.

Unfortunately, Rex Grossman is now out for the season, along with Brown, while Urlacher and Tillman will not play this week against the Eagles. I don't think they'll be keeping this one close.

Northwestern
Okay, the Wildcats have an absolutely horrible defense. So I don't think it makes much sense to rile up the Buckeyes by calling their offense mediocre. With that said, OSU has not looked good. I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict a big upset in Evanston tomorrow.

Illinois
The Illini did fare better than I predicted last week but still lost at home to Purdue 38-30. This week they face Wisconsin and will not be putting 30 points. I predict Illinois going down by a score resembling 28-17.

Have a great weekend!