Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Garcia Signs for $27M

Well, the Sox went ahead and signed Garcia to a 3 year deal for $27 million. I'm amazed at how many people think this actually makes the Garcia trade better.

Look, it doesn't matter if Garcia signed a ten year contract for a bag peanuts. The trade was Reed/Olivo/Morse for Ben Davis and 3 1/2 months of Garcia. Garcia could have been signed at the end of the year without giving up Olivo and Reed (although they would have lost draft picks to Seattle).

So the 3 year signing in no way changes the value of the trade, one way or the other. And I'm still sticking with my original opinion of the trade which is that it stinks and will most likely be an embarassment to the organization for years to come.

As for the contract Garcia signed, it is a little bit pricey. I haven't watched Garcia pitch a lot and have not been overly impressed with his two games in a Sox uniform. He definitely has some great stuff, but has left some pitches over the plate that have been hammered in each game.

I hope the trade and contract works out. But I think Garcia may struggle to earn this money at the Cell.