Friday, October 15, 2004

Friday Big Ten Picks

Last week against the spread: 4-0
Pick of the week: 1-0
Last week straight up: 4-1


I only have two picks against the spread this week. Ohio State goes on the road to play Iowa. This will be a battle between two teams that thus far have had disappointing seasons. The Buckeyes are favored by 2 on the road. After losing on the road in Evanston and at home against the Badgers, I just don’t see them as favorites in a Big Ten road game. Well maybe against Indiana, but not Iowa. Iowa should cover and win.

The big game this week will be down in West Lafayette as the Big Ten’s last two undefeated team, Wisconsin and Purdue, face off. I think it will be a close game. A great Badger defense vs. a great Boilermaker offense. I think a 7 point spread is too high so put your money on the Badgers. You should at least be able to walk away with a push so I’ll make this my pick of the week. As for straight, I think Purdue will pull this one out.

Michigan takes on the Illini down in Champaign and arrive as a 18.5 point favorites. Now that seems like a huge spread to give a Big Ten team playing at home and I’m tempted to go with the Illini. But Illinois is a pretty bad team. And bad teams are unpredictable. They can sometimes stay close in home games but are just as likely to give up hope and lose by 30. Stay away from this one.

The final game has Minnesota going into East Lansing as 9.5 point favorites. Like last year, the Gophers took on the Spartans after a tough loss to Michigan. I think the Gophers will at least split the two games this year, but I’m not comfortable with 9.5 point spread. Minnesota straight up, no prediction against the spread.