Wednesday, October 06, 2004

When Does College Basketball Start?

Thanks to the Cubs final week meltdown Wrigleyville should be much quieter this October. Unfortunately, the Bears have been decimated by injuries (yes they have lost exactly 1/10th of their players) and the college teams range from bad (Illinois) to mediocre (Northern, Northwestern).

I guess I should do some type of post mortem on the Sox. But really, the season has been over for a couple of months and I'm not sure I'm up for it. We'll see.

I will say that most things that I hear coming from writers and other pundits is borderline ridiculous. One of the big arguments I hear is that the Sox need some more players who can play "small-ball".

Now you don't have to be a stat-head to realize the Sox do not have a problem with offense. Playing without their two best offensive players for more than half of the season the finished third in the AL in runs scored. They also outscored the first place Twins by 85 runs (865-780).

So, when I hear Ozzie Guillen say the Sox offense will be better next year because they are planning on getting players who can bunt and execute the hit and run, I feel like bashing my head against a brick wall.

The Sox do need another quality starter and some bullpen help. I would like for them to make a run at Matt Clement, whose market value may have been hurt by his late season injuries.

But I hold out no hope that Kenny Williams can identify the problems this team has or find any solutions.