Friday, October 22, 2004

Friday Big Ten Picks

Last week against the spread: 2-0
Pick of the week: 1-0
Last week straight up: 2-2

YTD against the spread: 6-0
YTD Pick of the week: 2-0
YTD straight up: 6-3

My streak continued last week as both Wisconsin and Iowa covered the spread. I lost the Wisconsin-Purdue game straight up as I thought Purdue would pull it out. But hey, I said it would be close and it was. I think Michigan State routing Minnesota surprised everyone.

My pick of the week is Iowa over Penn St. Penn State is favored by 2.5 at home but I see them as a 3 point underdog. I think bettors are paying too much attention to the fact that the Nittany Lions played Purdue close and not enough attention to the beating Iowa gave Ohio State last week. Iowa should win straight up and against the spread.

I’ll also look for Purdue to cover this week as they are 4.5 points favorites over Michigan at home. Michigan is better than I gave them credit for a couple of weeks ago but I still think Purdue is the better team. Michigan also had trouble against the passing game of San Diego St. Given that fact, Purdue shouldn’t have too much trouble moving the ball through the air. Boilermakers by 7.

After going against Ohio State twice in the last two weeks (and winning), I expect them to cover against Indiana at home (13 points). Ohio State is not very good this year, but come one, were talking about Indiana. Ohio State by 20.

Straight up I’ll go with Wisconsin over Northwestern but I think it might be closer than the 12 point spread. I’m not sure what to think of Minnesota. But they shouldn’t have many problems beating Illinois. By 17 points? Like I said, I’m not sure what to think.