Thursday, September 18, 2003

Only a Flesh Wound!
Yesterday, SethSpeaks.net sent quite a few people over to get the White Sox fan’s perspective on this series. At least that’s what he said. It’s more likely he was sending Twins fans over to enjoy my misery.

But I have to admit, I don’t feel all that bad. Sure I can’t watch the games because they are making me sick, but I would rather go down head to head than because the Twins beat Detroit seven straight times.

From the innings I have been able sit through, this is what I’ve taken from the games. The Twins haven’t pitched that well. I think the Sox are just choking. There were certainly pitches to hit last night and the offense didn’t come through. This offense has gone through some very bad stretches this year so this isn’t all that surprising. But with that said, Twins pitchers have been given a ridiculous strike zone. I’m talking an extra inch all around. It’s a lot harder to bat 0-1, 0-2 than it is 1-0, 2-0.

So that’s my perspective. Now go celebrate with Mr. Gleeman. I did find some humor in his post yesterday. He ended it with “How do you like them apples”. I had a friend who said that all the time in junior high (87-88) and I always thought it was funny. Even then it sounded like something people would have said in the 50’s, like “How do you like them apples, daddio!”. Anyway, if they used that line in Good Will Hunting, make that reason number 101 that I’m glad I never saw the movie.

Now please, no e-mails saying “you got to watch that movie, it’s so good.” People told me the same thing about Titanic, and I’m still pissed I wasted three hours of my life on that movie. I would have walked out half way through, but after investing an hour of my time in the movie, you better believe I was going to get the satisfaction of seeing that boat sink and watching someone die.

So I learned my lesson - trust your instincts when it comes to picking movies to watch. And my instincts tell me that Matt Damon sucks. And that Ben Affleck really sucks. And any movie they are in together will suck at a standard exponentially higher than their own individual suckiness. So put it on the board - I will never watch Good Will Hunting.